0 In Pregnancy

My first trimester

my first trimester

Now that I am well into my second trimester, I thought it would be good to do a post about how I fared in Trimester One.

I’ll continue from where I left off in my Plant Based Journey to Pregnancy post.

After the positive test result, I googled like crazy.

What the hell did I do now? It would be at least a week before we had a chance to see my parents and tell them the news, so as much as I wanted to call my Mum (who was well educated in the ways of childbirth after 6 children) we were on our own.

Phase one: The doctors office.

We were in a new area, so a trip to my old doctors office was way too far. I made a prenatal appointment at a fancy holistic (read: expensive) practice down on the Peninsula, thinking it would be in line with my values.

Long story short that was an absolute disaster. The doctor ran an hour late, didn’t do anything remotely pregnancy related and after admitting that he rarely saw pregnant patients, tried to sell me a bunch of vitamins from their store.

What a waste of time and money that was!

I re-booked a few weeks later at a local clinic and they were wonderful. The nurse took my blood pressure, urine sample, weighed me, the whole lot! My new GP was more than happy to organize the extra blood tests I requested and was totally on board for a Plant Based pregnancy.

Phase two: the symptoms

Through week six I had spotting and some more-than-i-expected cramping to one side. This lasted about a week and though I stayed relatively calm, the one thing I feared (thanks Google!) was an Ectopic pregnancy (where the embryo attaches outside the uterus).

I was sent for an early ultrasound to confirm everything was OK. As I lay in the chair, busting to pee while the ultrasound technician pushed on my abdomen with her magic-baby-seeing-wand, we heard the heartbeat and saw the teeniest flicker on the screen. Baby Koch was alive and well, and in exactly the right place.

Phase Three: The waiting game.

There’s not a whole lot to do in the first trimester. Weeks 6 & 7 I was absolutely exhausted and suffering from some intense food aversions paired with a whole lot of ‘I’m going to vomit’ moments. (Thankfully, I never actually vomited.)

I expected to be a little more tired with the whole growing a baby thing going on, but didn’t expect to be absolutely exhausted to the point where I slept all day and could hardly lift a glass of water.

After week 9 I was feeling much better, and eating much more. Brad and I shared the news with our families who were thrilled. (I am one of six children, and this baby will be the first grandchild on my side of the family!)

Not a lot happened in the following weeks, apart from a few routine doctors appointments and ‘oh my god we’re going to have a baby’ moments.

I wouldn’t call them freak outs, though I did wonder when one of our house plants died how I was going to take care of an actual human.


You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply